Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sign-In Name Badges

One of my favorite things to do during summer vacation is paint my new class name badges.  Last summer I bought a bag of 100 wooden circles plus heavy-duty magnets from an online craft supplier.  I hot-glued the magnets to the back of the wooden circles, then used several coats of my favorite acrylic paint colors.  After they are painted and dry, I sprayed them with a clear acrylic sealer. 

The hardest part is painting the letters of the students' names.  Last year I used Sharpies, this year I was able to find a tiny, fine-tipped paintbrush and painted the names on the circles.  They aren't perfect, but I like them.
Last year I used purple and blue, this year I am going with a black and white theme to match the new black and white border I bought for my white board.



Next to the entry of my classroom sits a short filing cabinet.  After lunch each day, I have a helper move the name badges to the side of the filing cabinet.  As students arrive in the classroom each day, they move their name badges to "sign in."  I have signs on the white board indicating the lunch options for the day:  hot lunch, turkey sub, ham sub, chicken ceasar salad, peanut butter and jelly, drink only, or brought my lunch.  Students place their names under their choice of lunch order for the day, then my teaching assistant is able to do the electronic lunch count easily, without calling the students' names.  It has worked quite nicely for us!

1 comment:

  1. This was cheaper than buying at my local craft store: http://www.craftparts.com/geometric-shapes-circle-disc-wood-c-252_281.html
    It was a year ago that I made this purchase, so prices might have changed, but I was able to buy 100 wood circles and 70 magnets for $21 including shipping. Ultimately, that's a great bargain! These little name magnets will last me for probably 5 years depending on enrollment!! I do give them to the students to keep at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete